9/02/2013

Truly heard




"I like to be heard. I can testify that when I am in psychological distress and someone really hears me without passing judgment on me, without trying to take responsibility for me, without trying to mold me, it feels damn good! At these times it has relaxed the tension in me. It has permitted me to bring out the frightening feelings, the guilts, the despair, the confusions that have been a part of my experience. When I have been listened to and when I have been heard, I am able to re-perceive my world in a new way and to go on. It is astonishing how elements that seem insoluble become soluble when someone listens, how confusions that seem irremediable turn into relatively clear flowing streams when one is heard. I have deeply appreciated the times that I have experienced this sensitive, empathic, concentrated listening." 
Carl Rogers - Experiences in Communication