3/26/2009

Five questions


1. Who is my neighbor? Community is the greatest untapped wealth we have available to us at this time. Do we know who lives nearby? What do we need to do to get to know each other better?
2. How can I cultivate curiosity rather than judgment? It's not our differences that divide us, but our judgments about each other. Are we willing to be curious to listen to the stories of those we've distanced ourselves from?
3. What is my role in creating change? We can no longer wait for leaders or laws to create the changes we need. It's up to us, and it's the only way the world ever changes--when a few friends start talking. Am I willing to assume the responsibility for creating the changes I want to see in the world?
4. Am I willing to reclaim time to think? As the world speeds up, we're forfeiting our most precious human capacities -- reflection, awareness, dreaming, relationship. The only way to restore these capabilities is to slow things down, to reengage in reflection, to pause and truly notice what's going on.
5. Can I be fearless? Fearlessness is not being free of fear. It means that we do not allow our fears to silence or stop us. What issues and people summon me to be fearless?
Margaret Wheatley