5/09/2008

The best I can do ...


"We have enough religions, but not enough real human beings." (HH Dalai Lama) Emerson said, 'what you do speaks so loudly I can't hear a word you are saying.’ So, it's not what I think or even what I say, but my behavior, what I actually do in the world, how I act toward my fellows that determines my humanness, whether or not I am a worthwhile, contributing human being. If I truly appreciate the blessings in my life and I'm of assistance to those less fortunate than myself (Karma Yoga – i.e. service) I'm moving in the right direction. Mi Takuye Oyasin, I am related to all living things, so say the Lakota, as did Patanjali in the Yoga Sutras and some quantum physicists. If all living things, including the earth itself, are my relations and I treat them with compassion and loving kindness I'm on my way to becoming a true human being. That is about the best I can do.
Fred L Miller